The Marshall Memorial Fellowship empowers emerging leaders from business, government, and civil society for transatlantic engagement and cooperation. Using a method perfected over more than 30 years of implementation, the Marshall Memorial Fellowship provides an intense learning and networking experience of benefit to those working on issues of shared concern for communities on both sides of the Atlantic.
To become a Marshall Memorial Fellow, a candidate must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Between 7 and 15 years of proven leadership experience with significant accomplishment in business, civil society, politics, or media;
- Be a citizen of a participating country – including Armenia, Bulgaria, Georgia, Moldova, Romania, Turkey, and Ukraine;
- Be available for six months of distance learning, 24 days of travel exchange, and active alumni engagement upon completion of the fellowship;
- Have not resided or worked for an extensive period of time on the other side of the Atlantic in the last three years (participation in an academic exchange program does not disqualify an applicant);
- Speak English proficiently;
- Possess a passport valid at least six months beyond the assigned fellowship dates.
The German Marshall Fund selects leaders from all professional backgrounds, including business, government, and civil society, who exhibit the following characteristics:
- A profound sense of integrity;
- A commitment to democracy and diversity across markers including profession, gender, race, and ethnicity;
- A desire to effect real and sustainable change through creativity and innovation;
- Proven ability to apply knowledge and leverage networks;
- A commitment to transatlantic and global engagement;
- An ability to become a steward of the transatlantic agenda.
The German Marshall Fund of the United States is accepting nominations for the next cohort of Marshall Memorial Fellows, which will travel in the fall of 2020 and the spring of 2021.
If you would like to nominate yourself or nominate a leader for this unique opportunity, please complete this online form by September 27, 2019. All eligible nominees will be invited to submit their full applications in early October.
More information is available here.